Saturday, May 12, 2012

68. A Day at the National Genealogical Society Conference

   I had an enjoyable day in Cincinnati yesterday helping to staff the Indiana Genealogical Society booth. Interest was high in Indiana research, lots of folks stopped by with questions, and lots of them signed up as IGS members. Numerous IGS members volunteered their time to staff the booth; I was one of many--always nice to see good support for any society.
   The vendor area was large and contained a good variety of companies and groups. It's always fun to see what's new and to see where genealogy is going. One place it's definitely going is into scanned images. Everyone seemed to be featuring sites and programs that let you see the actual records and not just indexes and extracts/abstracts.
   No one had any of the new wand-type scanners, which was disappointing. I wanted to see one in operation before I bought one--and, yes, I'm thinking about that!
   I plan to be at the Pal-Am Conference and Midwestern Roots next, both here in Indy. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment