Saturday, September 22, 2012

141. I Published...Did You?

    I always have a great feeling of accomplishment when I produce another book on a family line. This week I finally put together and printed my book on "The Martin Blanchard Family of Hampshire and America." This is the sixth family book that I have done.
    The Blanchards were my token "rich" family--they probably had more money that all my other lines put together. It's definitely easier to research folks with a large bank balance!
    When I start to research a family line, I use my Brothers Keeper genealogy program to collect and record data. At the same time I create Word files as mini-biographies. Initially the Word files are just stubs, mostly boilerplate entries, that I continually update and refine as I go along. The mini-bios are where I add speculations and observations and further research ideas.
    Somewhere along in this process, I decide that the material is refined and extensive enough to warrant printing. I just reached that point a couple of weeks ago with the Blanchards. I recommend the process to one and all. Don't just collect data endlessly--get it out there in a family book! Put copies in family member's hands and in libraries. You'll be glad you did!
  

The
Martin Blanchard Family
of
Hampshire and America
Allied Families: Munt, Hale, Hawkins, Stevens,
Sanborn, Vincent, Wilson, O'Neill

Ronald L. Darrah
8126 Bittern Lane
Indianapolis, IN 46256

2012

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your process, Ron. Is this book at GSMC library? Do you place them all at ACPL?
    Congrats on this accomplishment.
    Nancy Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nancy,
    I send them all to ACPL for the Genealogy Exchange Program.
    Also, to the Family History Library and several other libraries.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete