Tuesday, December 25, 2012

190. On The Perimeter, Christmas 2012



      If you have served any time in the U. S. military forces, it's almost inevitable that you have spent at least one Christmas in some crappy dump in some crappy country, that, no matter how good, is still not the U.S.A. There has not been a single year since the founding of our republic when all of our soldiers and sailors have been safely in-country on Christmas.
     This is my Dad, Peter Darrah, who lived through Christmas 1945 in Korea, while my Mom, my sister, and I did the same in West Virginia. His brother Art spent the Christmases of 1944 and 1945 in Europe. I spent the Christmases of 1959 and 1960 in Japan; my brother Larry spent Christmas 1968 in Vietnam.
     Our family experiences were not that unique; your family can probably tell a similar story. On this Christmas of 2012, as you gather around that holiday feast with your family and friends, raise a glass to all those American men and women whose turn it is in 2012 to guard the perimeter and to keep the barbarians away. Freedom is not free...Merry Christmas!
    
     




1 comment:

  1. I am lucky that I have the letters my father wrote to my father during the Christmas of 1944. He was in northern France and wrote of the Christmas dinner. It was very touching to read this as well.

    ReplyDelete