MARION COUNTY Willard and Josephine Hubbard House, Indianapolis, 1903-1907 Architecture Listed on June 7, 2016
Willard W. Hubbard and his wife, Josephine, moved into this new home on two lots in the Morton Place addition, which Hubbard co-developed, in 1903. The two-and-one-half story residence is the only stone house within the addition. The house is a vernacular center-hall design with Italian Renaissance Revival stylistic elements. Original windows (including some stained glass and leaded windows) and doors remain as does the elaborate front portico design. The interior retains many of its historic features, including, original hardwood floors, mahogany woodwork, staircases, fireplaces and light fixtures, and for the most part, original floor plan. The stone-clad carriage house/garage is also original or was built very early. The Willard and Josephine Hubbard House is significant for its combination of Italian Renaissance Revival and vernacular architecture. It was one of only a handful of stone houses built in Morton Place and is the only remaining one. Stone houses constructed prior to 1940 are uncommon in Indianapolis and this is a grand one with good architectural integrity.